Coat!

05Apr10

I am back! And I am proud to present Sewing Project no. 2.

Photobucket

I’ve been needing a new coat for a while. The lining in my old one has shred to tatters, and, more difficult to redeem, the outer fabric has also begun to show its age. After a whole winter of searching, I finally found a gorgeous trench! Yes it was second hand too. I felt so glamorous when I first put it on… right until I looked in a mirror and realised that it is too large on my upper body. As an extra bonus, it made me look like I have a pinhead.

So I devised the following war plan:


1) Trace the shape of the armscye onto a semi-transparent paper, separately for the front and the back
2) Rip the seams of the lining around the armholes and the side seams
3) Baste a thread around the cap of the sleeves close to the seam and tie it, so they hold their shape/easing after I take them off
4) Take off the sleeves and the shoulder pads
5) Pin the shoulder in its correct place (for my body)
6) Trace the shape of the armscye using the ‘pattern’ from step 1 – essentially shifting the exact same shape inwards
7) Trace new upper side seams from the new armscye to the existing waist
8 )Sew new side seams
9) Reattach sleeves which will hopefully have stayed pre-eased
10) Reattach shoulder pads; hand-stitch the lining back where it should be.

And that is more or less what I did.

coat

Step 1) didn’t end up working too well. I wasted a lot of time trying to get it right. In the end, what did work, and this was much simpler too, was to rub the seam attaching the sleeves to the body with tailor’s chalk. Then I took off the sleeves and inserted a sheet of paper in the armhole (as if the paper was wearing the coat). I pinned it in place, and I traced the original seam on to the paper by pricking along the line I had chalked with a pin. Et voilá! I had my pattern for the armscye.

I started working on this on my anniversary with my SO. We were going out for dinner in the evening, and I had left my old coat in the town where I work in a fit of springtime optimism. My plan, however, was going swimmingly. I was going to wear my new coat to dinner! I sewed the sleeves straight on, with the shortest stitch length possible – basting is for wimps! – and tried on the coat just before finishing the lining.

coat

Yes, that is right, ladies and gentlemen. I sewed one of the sleeves back along the wrong chalkline!

One hour to go till dinner, and I was fighting a heroic battle ripping apart those tiny stitches. I did not baste the second time either. I fixed the sleeve lining to the shoulder seam with one stitch on both sides, and I flew out of the door.

And here is the finished coat in all its glory:

coat

It may look exactly the same to you. But it feels different!😀

~~~~~~~~

Íme, az új kabátom!🙂 Kábé öt percig rettenetesen meg voltam vele elégedve. Azután tükörbe néztem, és úgy döntöttem, hogy mindenképpen túl bő a fölsőtestemen. A következő haditervet dolgoztam ki:

1. Lemásolni az eredeti varrásvonalat, aminek mentén az ujjat a kabát testéhez varrták. (Mi erre a szakszó magyarul? Hónaljvonal? :))

2. Kinyitni a kabátbélést a hónalj körül.

3. Körbefércelni a kabátujjat a beillesztésnél, hogy megtartsa az alakját, miután leemelem a kabátról.

4. Leemelni az ujjakat és a válltömést.

5. Bejelölni az új vállszélességet a kabáton.

6. Az első lépés során megszerzett szabásminta alapján berajzolni a kabátujj új helyét – lényegében befelé eltolva az eredeti varrásvonalat.

7. Berajzolni az új oldal-öltésvonalat.

8. Új oldalvonalat varrni.

9. Beilleszteni a kabátujjakat az új helyükre.

10. Visszavarrni a válltömést, és összevarrni a bélést.

Többé-kevésbé ezt is tettem! Az első lépés helyett jobban működött az, hogy miután levettem a kabátujjakat, egy papírlapot csúsztattam a kabátba, és arra, az eredeti öltésvonalon keresztül gombostűvel átszurkálva másoltam át a szabásmintát.

A fönti képről már kitalálhattátok, hogy az egyik kabátujjat véletlenül a régi krétavonal mentén varrtam visssza. Ezt lehetett megint fölfejteni… közben egy órám maradt, hogy elkészüljek a kabáttal, mert vacsorára vártak, és nem volt mást viselnem.

Szintén fönt látható a végeredmény! Lehet, hogy pont ugyanúgy néz ki a képernyő másik feléről, mint az eredeti változat… de teljesen másmilyennek érzem!🙂



10 Responses to “Coat!”

  1. 1 mama

    Büszke vagyok rád, kislányom!
    Még ilyet, ki gondolta volna, hogy ezt is tudod?
    Mindig úgy hallottam, hogy a valamit fölfejtenek hónaljban vagy hasonló. Nem kell bonyolítani, ha egyszerűn elmondható.

    Fő, hogy jól érzed magad a kabátban, kényelmes és megóv a hidegtől.
    De legfőképp csinos. Puszika

  2. 3 otto

    Looks terrific!

  3. 5 Agnes

    Gratulálok, nagyon jól néz ki! Mestermunka.🙂

  4. Very impressive! It takes guts to take apart a store-bought garment and do such massive alterations. Setting in sleeves is one of the trickiest steps in garment making. Congratulations! The fit does look better.

  5. I fell in LOVE with a Burda pattern about six or seven years ago. I bought three so at least one will survive even after I’m dead.

    It is fitted, completely tailored, and long, rather sweeping. Have I made one yet… of course not… that just right tweed wool hasn’t come before me. I do however, have plenty of heavy deep red satin for the lining.

    • Eloh, so good to see you! Also sounds like you’ve got something on the rest of us, we don’t even have heavy deep red satin parading in my area.🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: